Elevate Your Camping Breakfast with Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
Whoever said that camping food has to be all canned beans and s’mores? With a little prep before you hit the road, you can wake up to the aroma of freshly made whole wheat pancakes, even in the great outdoors!
This Whole Wheat Pancake Camping Mix is not only a healthier alternative to the classic pancake mix, but it’s also incredibly convenient and easy to make.
Let’s dive into how you can prepare this delightful breakfast option that will surely make your camping mornings extra special.
Gathering Your Ingredients for Healthier Pancakes
The beauty of this mix lies in its wholesome ingredients, which are easy to find and pack a nutritional punch. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Whole Wheat Flour: 8 cups. Opting for whole wheat flour introduces more fiber and nutrients compared to white flour, keeping you full and energized for those hiking adventures.
- Shortening Powder: 3/4 cups. A handy ingredient for making fluffy pancakes, and the powdered form means no mess!
- Powdered Milk: 3/4 cups. Eliminates the need for refrigeration while providing that lovely richness to your pancakes.
- Brown Sugar: 3/4 cups. Adds a hint of molasses flavor that complements the nuttiness of the whole wheat.
- Dehydrated Eggs: 2/3 cups. Another clever camping food hack, ensuring you have all the benefits of eggs without the risk of breakage.
- Baking Powder: 1/3 cups. The leavening agent that gives your pancakes that desirable rise.
- Salt: 1 tablespoon. Just a touch to balance the sweetness and enhance the flavors.
Mixing Your Way to Pancake Perfection
The process is as simple as combining all the ingredients thoroughly to ensure even distribution. Once mixed, you can divide the concoction into jars or ziplock bags, with each portion containing 1 cup of mix, perfect for a breakfast serving.
Cooking Pancakes Under the Open Sky
When you’re ready to transform your mix into fluffy pancakes, all you need is water! Combine 1 cup of your whole wheat pancake mix with 1 cup of water. Stir gently to combine, then let the batter rest for a minute as your griddle heats up.
Ladle the batter onto your hot griddle, and flip the pancakes once bubbles form and pop on the surface. In no time, you’ll have 6 delightful pancakes ready to be devoured.
Tips for the Ultimate Pancake Experience
- Flavor Add-Ins: Customize your pancakes with dried fruit, nuts, or chocolate chips for that extra touch of luxury.
- Pack Smart: Consider pre-measuring your add-ins and packing them in separate small bags. This way, everyone can customize their pancake just the way they like it.
- Cooking Equipment: A portable griddle or a cast-iron skillet works wonders for outdoor pancake making. Make sure it’s well-seasoned to prevent sticking.
- Serving Suggestions: Don’t forget to pack maple syrup, honey, or even peanut butter for topping. For a real treat, why not bring along some fresh fruit if space allows?
A Breakfast Worth Waking Up For
With this Whole Wheat Pancake Camping Mix, you’re not just preparing a meal; you’re creating moments and memories.
Imagine sitting around the campfire, sipping your morning coffee or tea, with a stack of warm, fluffy pancakes on your plate, surrounded by nature and your favorite people. It’s these simple pleasures that make camping such a cherished activity.
So, on your next outdoor adventure, don’t settle for less when it comes to breakfast. Whip up some whole wheat pancakes and start your day with a smile.
- 8 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups shortening powder
- 3/4 cups powdered milk
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2/3 cups dehydrated eggs
- 1/3 cups baking powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- Combine well and divide into jars or ziploc bags, 1 cup mix per bag or jar.
Attach to tag:
- Combine 1 cup whole wheat pancake mix with 1 cup water. Combine gently, then let stand one minute while griddle heats up. Pour whole wheat pancake batter onto griddle, flip when bubbles pop on top if pancake. Makes 6 pancakes.
- Top with fresh fruit instead of syrup to keep it even healthier.