Sunshine & Cranberry: A Slow Cooker Delight
Welcome, friends, to a culinary journey that brings the vibrant flavors of orange and cranberry to your dinner table, any day of the year! Say goodbye to waiting for the holiday season to indulge in the tart and sweet symphony of cranberries. With this Orange Cranberry Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe, we’re breaking the rules and bringing holiday cheer into your kitchen, no matter the season. The best part? This dish comes with a generous amount of delightful sauce, perfect for draping over fluffy rice.
Let’s dive into this easy, flavorful recipe that promises a meal bursting with color and taste, making dinner time a celebration in its own right.
- Chicken Pieces: 3 lbs, ready to soak in all the flavors.
- Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce: 1 can, for that tart holiday vibe.
- Orange Juice & Peel: 2 tbsp juice and 1 tsp grated peel, to add a citrusy brightness.
- Seasonings: Nutmeg, mustard, salt, and pepper for depth and warmth.
- Thickening Agents: 3 tbsp each of cornstarch and cold water to create that perfect sauce consistency.
Your Culinary Toolkit:
- A Trusty Slow Cooker: The heart of our cooking adventure.
- A Small Mixing Bowl: For blending the magic sauce.
- A Whisk or Spoon: To stir up flavor and joy.
- A Small Dish: For mixing the cornstarch and water.
Let’s Get Cooking:
Preparing Your Chicken:
- Prep Work: Rinse and pat dry the chicken pieces, laying them out as the base of your flavorful masterpiece in the slow cooker.
Crafting the Sauce:
- Mix Magic: In your mixing bowl, blend the cranberry sauce, orange juice, grated orange peel, nutmeg, mustard, salt, and pepper. This concoction will envelop your chicken in a hug of flavors.
- Pour and Cook: Gently pour this vibrant sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker, ensuring every piece is kissed by the mixture. Set to cook on low for 4-5 hours until tender and fully infused with the cranberry-orange essence.
The Final Flourish:
- Thicken the Sauce: Once your chicken is perfectly cooked, transfer it to a warm dish to rest. Blend cornstarch and cold water in a small dish, then stir this into the sauce left in the slow cooker. Turn the heat to high and whisk frequently until the sauce thickens into a velvety blanket of flavor.
- Serve with Love: Plate your tender chicken over a bed of rice, and lovingly ladle the thickened sauce over the top. Watch as the vibrant colors and aromas promise a meal to remember.
Dinner is Served
Gather around the table and dive into a dish that brings the holiday spirit into your home at any time of the year. The tangy cranberries, sweet orange, and tender chicken create a harmony of flavors that dance on the palate, making every bite a celebration. This Orange Cranberry Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe is not just a meal; it’s a reminder of the joy and warmth that cooking can bring into our lives, turning a simple dinner into a special occasion.
So, here’s to breaking traditions, to flavors that bring joy, and to meals that turn everyday moments into cherished memories. Bon Appétit!
- slow cooker
- 3 lbs chicken pieces cut up
- 1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp cold water
- Rinse chicken well then pat dry. Place chicken pieces in bottom of slow cooker. Combine all remaining ingredients except cornstarch and water in a small bowl, stirring well, then pouring over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Remove chicken from crock pot and place on covered warming dish. In a small dish combine cornstarch and water, adding to crock pot set on high. Stir frequently for 10-15 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Serve orange cranberry chicken over rice with the sauce.