A Flavorful Adventure: Sweet & Sour Pork Freezer Recipe
Welcome to the delightful world of freezer cooking, where convenience meets delectable flavors! Today, we’re diving into a culinary journey that’ll bring the vibrant taste of Chinese cuisine right into your kitchen with our Sweet & Sour Pork Freezer Recipe. This dish is a beautiful symphony of flavors, combining the tangy zest of sour cherries with the rich sweetness of brown sugar, all perfectly complementing tender strips of pork. It’s a favorite for many and for good reason—it’s absolutely delicious!
Whether you’re a seasoned home chef or new to the kitchen, this recipe is designed to be straightforward and rewarding. Not only does it promise to be a hit at your dining table, but it’s also freezer-friendly, making it the perfect meal to prepare in advance for those hectic days. Imagine having a homemade, restaurant-quality dish just waiting to be reheated and enjoyed—this Sweet & Sour Pork recipe makes that dream a reality.
So, let’s gather our ingredients and embark on this flavor-packed adventure together. Follow these simple steps, and you’ll be serving up a dish that’s sure to impress your family and friends, all while keeping your budget and time constraints in check.
Ingredients for Sweet Success
- Pork: 2 lb, cooked and cut into strips, ready to absorb all the sweet and sour goodness.
- Brown Sugar: 1/2 cup, packed to add that deep, caramelized sweetness.
- Cornstarch: 1 tbsp, to thicken our sauce to just the right consistency.
- Broth: 1 cup of beef or chicken, adding depth and richness to the sauce.
- Cloves: 1/2 tsp, for a hint of warm spice.
- Bay Leaf: 1, to infuse the sauce with its aromatic essence.
- Sour Cherries: 3/4 cup, frozen or canned and pitted, for that essential tangy kick.
- Lemon Juice: 1 tbsp, brightening up the dish with citrus notes.
- Butter/Margarine: 1/4 cup, adding a silky finish to the sauce.
Crafting Your Culinary Masterpiece
Preparing the Pork
- Casserole Ready: Place the cooked pork strips evenly into a casserole dish, setting the stage for the flavor infusion to come.
Creating the Sauce
- Mix & Thicken: In a saucepan, whisk together the brown sugar, cornstarch, and your choice of broth until smooth. Add the cloves and bay leaf, stirring gently over low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Add the Flavors: Stir in the sour cherries, lemon juice, and butter/margarine. Bring the mixture to a boil, ensuring everything is beautifully combined.
Combining & Baking
- Pour & Bake: Carefully pour the sweet and sour sauce over the pork strips in the casserole. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld and the pork to become tender and succulent.
Freezing for Later
- Cool & Freeze: Allow the dish to cool after baking. Transfer it into serving-size freezer containers. Label with the date, and freeze.
Serving Your Sweet & Sour Delight
From Freezer to Table
- Reheat & Serve: Defrost the Sweet & Sour Pork overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat in a saucepan until warm throughout. Serve over a bed of fluffy rice for a complete meal that’s both comforting and satisfying.
Tips for a Perfect Dish
- Variety is Key: Feel free to substitute sour cherries with pineapple for a different twist on the classic sweet and sour flavor.
- Sauce Consistency: Adjust the cornstarch to your preference for a thicker or thinner sauce.
- Garnish & Enjoy: Add a sprinkle of green onions or sesame seeds before serving for an extra pop of color and texture.
This Sweet & Sour Pork Freezer Recipe is more than just a meal; it’s a journey through flavors that are sure to leave you and your loved ones craving more. By preparing this dish in advance, you’re not only saving time but also ensuring that a delicious, homemade meal is always within reach. So, here’s to enjoying the rich tapestry of tastes that make up this wonderful dish, and to the joy of sharing it with those you care about. Happy cooking, and enjoy the delightful fusion of sweet and sour in every bite!
- 2 lb cooked pork cut into strips
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup frozen sour cherries or canned pitted cherries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter/margarine
- Place pork strips into casserole. In a saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch and broth, stirring until smooth without any lumps. Add cloves and bay leaf. Cook mixture over low heat, stirring until thickened. Add sour cherries, lemon juice and butter/margarine then bring to a boil.
- Pour mixture over pork in casserole, then bake in a preheated 350F oven for 20 minutes.
- Cool and freeze into serving size container(s).
On cooking day
- Defrost and reheat in saucepan. Serve over rice.