A family favorite turned low fat with lots of veggies for kids! This is a great way to get more vegetables into your child’s diet, by serving vegetarian sloppy joes instead of the usual beef ones.
Low Fat Veggie Sloppy Joes
This is a great way to get more vegetables into your child's diet, by serving vegetarian sloppy joes instead of the usual beef ones.
- slow cooker
- 1 cup dried lentils rinsed, sorted
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup red and/or green peppers chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- In a medium saucepan, add lentils and water, bring to a boil then reduce heat. Cover tightly with lid and simmer for 10 minutes (do not drain after!)
- In slow cooker, combine celery, carrots, onions, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and lentils/water from saucepan.
- Cover crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until lentils are cooked and soft.
- Stir in vinegar while toasting hamburger buns. Top veggie sloppy joe mixture on buns and serve.
Leave a Reply