Rice and beans are generally not considered a low fat dish, but we have lightened up this traditional Mexican dish with a low fat spin.
Low Fat Mexi Rice & Beans
- slow cooker
- 1 16- oz can Mexican style beans
- 1 16- oz canned crushed tomatoes low sodium if available
- 1 1/2 cups converted rice uncooked
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 4- oz can chopped green chilies
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups low fat cheddar cheese grated/shredded (divided in half)
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and add beans, tomatoes, rice, onion, chilies, garlic and half the cheddar cheese (3/4 cup).
- Stir, cover crock pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- In last hour of cooking, sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup of cheese on top. Serve.
Leave a Reply