While most people wash a bird cage with soap and hot water, you can safely disinfect a pet cage if you follow these steps. The fumes from disinfectant can impact your bird’s lungs, so disinfect the cage without the bird in the same room.
- Scrub the cage with hot soapy water like usual. Rinse well.
- Spray the cage with disinfectant, or soak the cage bottom in a large sink or tub filled with disinfectant, diluted according to the bottle instructions.
- Allow the disinfectant to sit on the surface according to the instructions.
- Rinse cage well with hot water for several minutes. It is crucial that all disinfectant is cleaned from the surface of the cage.
- Allow to air dry naturally, in the sun if possible.
- Once the cage is completely dry, it is safe for your feathered friends.