Extend the Glow: Tips to Prolong Your Spray Tan
Savoring Your Sun-Kissed Skin
A spray tan can give you that gorgeous, sun-kissed look without the harmful effects of UV exposure. But as much as we love the instant glow, seeing it fade too soon can be disappointing. Fear not! With a few smart moves and a bit of care, you can extend the life of your spray tan, keeping that radiant look for longer. Here’s how you can maximize your tan’s lifespan and keep that golden glow shining.
Pre-Tan Preparation: Laying the Groundwork
- Exfoliate Wisely: Aim to exfoliate and shave at least 24 hours before your tan. This preps your skin by removing dead cells, ensuring the tan adheres to a smooth, fresh surface. Gentle exfoliation is key; avoid harsh scrubs that could irritate the skin.
- Skip Certain Products: On the day of your appointment, avoid deodorant, perfume, and makeup. These products can create barriers or react with the tanning solution, leading to unevenness.
Post-Tan Care: Keeping the Glow
- Patience Before Showering: Resist the urge to shower for at least 4-6 hours post-tan, though waiting overnight yields the best results. This patience allows the tan to fully develop.
- Delay the Gym Session: Give your workout a miss for the first 24 hours. Sweat can streak and lighten the tan, so enjoy a rest day with no guilt attached.
- Steer Clear of Pools and Spas: Chlorine is a tan’s nemesis. Avoid swimming pools and hot tubs for at least the first day to prevent premature fading.
- Gentle First Shower: When it’s time to shower, keep it brief and gentle. Skip the exfoliation and shaving, focusing on a quick rinse with mild soap.
Daily Rituals: Nurturing Your Tan
- Moisturize Regularly: Hydrated skin retains the tan better. Use a quality moisturizer daily to lock in moisture and slow the exfoliation process.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water benefits your skin from the inside out, helping maintain your tan’s appearance.
- Be Gentle: After bathing or sweating, pat your skin dry instead of rubbing. This minimizes tan disruption.
- Avoid Exfoliation: Post-tan, save exfoliation for when you’re ready to bid your tan farewell. Exfoliating too soon can speed up fading.
Troubleshooting: When Things Don’t Go as Planned
If your tan fades faster than expected, don’t hesitate to consult your spray tan technician. A quick fade could indicate an issue with the solution or its application. Remember, communication is key to ensuring satisfaction with your service.
Protecting Your Skin: Beyond the Tan
While your spray tan may give you a beautiful bronze, it doesn’t protect against sunburn. Always apply sunscreen when exposed to the sun to safeguard your skin.
Enjoying Your Enduring Glow
With these tips, you’re well-equipped to maximize the lifespan of your spray tan. Embrace these practices, and you’ll enjoy a longer-lasting, radiant glow. Remember, a little care goes a long way in preserving that beautiful bronzed look. Here’s to many more days of glowing, sun-kissed skin!