While you may have your favorite kinds of food that you will always buy brand-name version in, here is a list of groceries that you can often buy generic without sacrificing taste while saving a lot of money in your wallet.
Post this list with your grocery list, since most generic brands are not placed where you easily spot them in the grocery store! (Also see Smart tips for buying generic brand groceries)
- pasta noodles
- pasta sauce
- hamburger helper type meals
- frozen vegetables
- Packages of seasoned rice & pasta
- frozen juice
- hot dogs
- macaroni and cheese
- canned vegetables
- canned fruits
- barbecue sauce
- jam and jellies
- pudding snacks
- drink mixes, such as generics of Crystal light and Kool-Aid
- Pop / Soda
- ice cream
- salad dressing
- potato and tortilla chips
- frozen meal things like chicken strips, mini pizzas and perogees
- dairy such as yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, cheese, cheese slices
This list as a guideline of things you should buy generic, or at least try in the generic brand ones. Some people actually prefer the generic brand to the brand-name version. Just keep track of the generics you are happy with the generics and the things that you just have to have the brand-name and. This is one of the reasons why ketchup isn’t on the list!
Of course don’t forget you can buy things such as laundry detergent, dish soap, toilet paper and even over-the-counter drugs such as allergy and cold medicines.