If you are on a budget and cannot afford to spend much money on containers, all is not lost. There are plenty of places you can get free or cheap containers that are suitable for container gardening in a wide variety of sizes.
- Contact your local Burger King. They have 4-5 gallon containers available for the asking.
- Restaurants. Many condiments and other cooking supplies are in 4-5 gallon containers. Ask what they have available
- Nursing homes. They often have containers that have held cleaning supplies such as soap or laundry detergent.
- Ikea. Not free, but very inexpensive garbage cans and waste paper baskets in many sizes, colors and designs.
- Dollar store carries a variety of containers and planters, especially in the spring. Average price from $1 to a maximum of about $5 per planter.
- eBay often has lots of plastic pots available
- Freecycle. You never know what people locally might be trying to get rid of for free!
As with any container, don’t forget to drill holes for drainage.
How to water your container garden
How to drill drainage holes in your plant containers
Caution when using terracotta pots for your container garden
Keeping moisture in yout container gardens