A great use for excess tomatoes in the garden.
Vine Ripened Marinara Sauce for the Freezer
- 4 lbs vine ripened tomatoes riper the better peeled, seeded and pureed
- 1 large onion chopped well
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh oregano finely chopped*
- 2 tsp fresh basil finely chopped*
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- * 1 tsp dried herbs can be substituted
- In a large skillet, heat oil then saute onion until translucent. Add garlic and sautee for about half a minute longer.
- Slowly add pureed tomatoes, combining well. Stir seasonings throughout sauce then cook on medium high, stirring frequently. Sauce will reduce and thicken over the heat. Once desired consistency is reached, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cool sauce and freeze in containers or ziploc bags.
On cooking day
- To use: Simply defrost and reheat and serve over pasta, chicken etc.