Everyone loves a great split pea soup. But it is one of those time consuming recipes that so many people seem content with only making straight from a can. But no more!
Making split pea soup at home is easy, so long as you take the time to soak the beans. But because this is a freezer recipe, all that is needed on cooking day is simply to reheat the soup in 20 minutes! 20 minutes from freezer to bowl.
Here is how to easily make this fabulous soup for your freezer.
Split Pea Soup Freezer Cooking Recipe
- 3 cups dried yellow split peas
- 2 large onions chopped
- 3 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 3-4 lbs smoked ham shanks or hocks
- In large stock pot combine 3 quarts water with all ingredients. Over medium-high heat bring to a boil then reduce to simmering and cover for three hours or until peas are soft.
- Remove ham and pull off all meat, discarding the bone, skin and fat. Chop ham into bite size pieces and return to pan.
- Allow to cool, transfer to freezer safe containers in serving portion sizes and freeze.
On serving day
- To serve, thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- Rreheat over medium heat bin saucepan until heated through, approx 20 minutes. Thin soup with hot water as needed.
Leave a Reply