A nice healthy soup for the family from the freezer. Can make it vegetarian by switching the broth.
Spinach Soup Freezer Recipe
- 1/2 cup margarine/butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth substitute vegetable broth for vegetarian version
- 1 lb fresh spinach cooked OR 1 8-oz frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet or saucepan melt butter/margarine and sauté onion until softened. Remove from heat then stir in flour. Place back on heat and slowly add milk and stock, stirring constantly to keep consistency smooth. Add cooked spinach, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Bring spinach soup to a boil, stir, then simmer on low for 3-4 minutes.
- Cool and pour into serving size containers, freeze.
On cooking day
- Defrost and reheat in saucepan or in microwave.
You can swap the broth from chicken broth to vegetable broth to make this soup vegetarian instead.
Leave a Reply