A kid-friendly dish the whole family loves, and perfect for freezing.
Macaroni & Cheese Freezer Cooking Recipe – Homemade Style
- 8 oz dried macaroni noodles
- 5 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp white flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 small green or red pepper sliced or half of each color
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- salt optional
- pepper optional
- Cook macaroni noodles according to instructions until al dente. Drain. Melt a small amount of butter and mix with noodles, to prevent them from sticking together. Cover and set aside.
- Melt 5 tbsp butter, add flour and stir over medium heat for about thirty seconds, being careful not to brown. Add milk and whisk until mixture thickens. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer. Heat pepper on stovetop in a separate pan, or microwave for about a minute. Add to milk mixture, then add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Toss mixture with macaroni noodles, and place in a 3 pint casserole dish or disposable foil casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs. Can split into two for smaller families. Allow to cool, cover and freeze.
On serving day
- Allow to thaw at room temperature for one hour, or all day in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and bake for 45 minutes. If you split into two, baking time may be reduced.