This is a great one to have in your freezer for the Christmas season.
The spice combinations for this chili will remind you of the holiday season, with cinnamon, allspice and even cocoa – so call it Chocolate Chili to your kids! This is a double/triple recipe, so it makes enough for 2 x 6 servings or 3 x 4 servings.
Holiday Spice Chili Freezer Recipe
This unusual spiced chili makes it perfect for the freezer to use when the holidays are near.
- 2 lb ground beef
- cooking oil for browning ground beef
- 2 large onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder make sure there are no lumps
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 19- oz cans romano beans rinsed and drained
- 2 14- oz cans diced tomatoes including juice
- 1 14- oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onion and garlic, until beef is no longer pink. Drain fat off, then add chili powder, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, allspice and bay leaves to beef mixture and heat it for a minute or two, until spices are fragrant from the heat. Then add beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and balsamic vinegar, stirring well.
- Bring chili to a boil, then reduce to a medium-low simmer, simmering for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sauce will thicken as it simmers. Remove bay leaves and allow to cool.
- Divide into two for six serving portions or divide into three for four serving portions (or in single serving sizes for lunches) and freeze in ziploc bags or freezer containers.
On serving day
- Remove from freeze and allow to defrost in fridge, or use the defrost setting on the microwave. Pour contents into a sauce pan and cook over medium to medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until heated through. Serve.
Leave a Reply