An All American classic dish, chicken with dumplings that has been tweaked for your freezer.
Chicken with Dumplings Freezer Cooking Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken breasts boneless skinless, cut in 1" cubes
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup celery thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 10 cups prepared chicken broth
- 2 cups carrots sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves OR 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In large soup pot, sauté chicken and onion over medium heat until chicken is browned, about 6-8 minutes. Add celery and saute. Add 1/4 cup flour, then slowly add chicken broth, carrots and thyme, stirring well. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat, simmering for 20 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stir occasionally.
- While simmering, prepare dumplings by mixing together flour and baking powder. Slowly add buttermilk, stirring well to combine. Can add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Once it is finished simmering, drop dough by the tablespoon-full into chicken stew mixture. Cover again and finish cooking over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until dumplings are fully cooked.
- Cool then freeze in containers.
On serving day
- Defrost and reheat on the stove over low heat.