This classic recipe for OAMC! This dish is great served over rice, even from the freezer!
Chicken A La King Freezer Recipe
Chicken a la king is an old family favorite that is now set up for your freezer cooking planning.
- 2 6-oz cans sliced mushrooms drained but reserving 1/2 cup liquid
- 1 cup green pepper diced
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups light cream
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked chicken cut up
- 2 jars 4-oz each pimiento chopped and drained
- In dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat, then cook mushrooms and green pepper for about five minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper, cooking over low heat, stirring constantly, until flour mixture is bubbling. Remove from heat, then add cream, broth and 1/2 cup mushroom liquid, stirring until well combined. Return to heat, stirring constantly, until sauce begins to boil. Add chicken and pimiento, stirring well and continue to cook until heated through.
- Divide Chicken a la King into three one quart containers. Allow to cool, seal and freeze.
On serving day
- 45 minutes before serving, remove container from freezer.
- Dip outside of container in hot water to loosen edges and remove from freezer container and place in large saucepan. Add 1/2 cup water, cover saucepan with lid, and heat on medium low stirring (or turning) every few minutes until hot.
- Serve over rice.