Brighten Your Table with Creamy Lemon Chicken: A Freezer Recipe Delight
Welcome, culinary adventurers, to a refreshing twist on a classic favorite! Move over, orange chicken, because our Creamy Lemon Chicken Freezer Recipe is here to zest up your mealtime. This dish combines the tangy allure of lemon with the luxurious richness of cream, all enveloped around tender pieces of chicken that are sure to delight your palate. Whether you’re looking to impress guests, shake up your family dinner routine, or simply indulge in a citrus-infused culinary creation, this recipe is your ticket to a flavorful escape.
Perfect for those who appreciate the art of meal prepping or anyone eager to have a delicious, ready-to-cook dish stashed in the freezer, this Creamy Lemon Chicken promises convenience without compromising on taste. Imagine the satisfaction of having a gourmet meal at your fingertips, ready to be enjoyed after a simple thaw and bake. It’s like having your own personal chef waiting in the wings!
So, let’s embark on this zesty journey together, armed with lemon and cream, and ready to transform ordinary chicken into an extraordinary feast. Follow these steps to prepare, freeze, and savor a dish that’s bursting with flavor and coziness.
Gather Your Ingredients for Culinary Magic
- Oil: Just enough to brown all the chicken to golden perfection.
- Chicken: 2 whole chickens, cut up into pieces, ready to soak up the flavors.
- Dry Sherry or Apple Juice: 3 tbsp, adding a subtle depth of flavor.
- Dry White Wine or Chicken Broth: 3 tbsp, for that aromatic base.
- Lemon Juice: 2 tbsp, the star of the show, providing that bright, tangy kick.
- Orange Peel: Grated, for a hint of sweet citrus notes.
- Cream: 1 1/2 cups, for a sauce that’s velvety and rich.
- On Cooking Day:
- Swiss Cheese: 3/4 cup shredded, for a melty, gooey topping.
- Lemon: 1, sliced thinly, for garnish and added zest.
Crafting Your Citrus Masterpiece
Browning the Chicken
- Golden Beginnings: In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and brown the chicken pieces until they’re golden on all sides, about 8-10 minutes per side. This step not only seals in the juices but also lays the foundation for the flavors to come.
Creating the Sauce
- Sauce Alchemy: Once the chicken is browned, whisk together the sherry (or apple juice), wine (or chicken broth), lemon juice, orange peel, and cream in the skillet. Bring this mixture to a boil while stirring constantly, letting the sauce thicken and the flavors meld.
Combining and Freezing
- Assemble and Chill: Transfer the browned chicken to a casserole dish (or divide among two or three dishes, depending on your needs) and pour the creamy sauce over the top. Let it cool, then cover and freeze, locking in the freshness and flavor.
From Freezer to Oven
Serving Your Lemon Delight
- Thaw and Prep: On the day you’re ready to feast, thaw the casserole overnight in the refrigerator. Preheat your oven to 350°F, sprinkle the casserole with Swiss cheese, and artistically arrange the lemon slices on top.
- Bake to Perfection: Heat the casserole for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese is melted to your liking. For a golden touch, pop it under the broiler for a few minutes at the end of cooking time.
Tips for a Perfect Dish
- Broth Swap: For a non-alcoholic version, chicken broth works wonderfully in place of wine and sherry.
- Cheese Varieties: Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese for the topping. Gruyère or Parmesan can offer a new flavor profile.
- Serving Suggestion: Pair this creamy lemon chicken with a side of fluffy rice, pasta, or fresh greens for a balanced and delicious meal.
This Creamy Lemon Chicken Freezer Recipe isn’t just a dish; it’s a celebration of flavors, textures, and the simple joy of cooking. It’s about bringing a little sunshine to your table, no matter the season, with a meal that’s both comforting and invigorating. Here’s to delightful dinners ahead, where the zest of lemon and the creaminess of the sauce come together in perfect harmony to create a meal that’s sure to become a cherished favorite. Bon appétit!
- Oil enough to brown all the chicken
- 2 chickens cut up into pieces
- 3 tbsp dry sherry or apple juice
- 3 tbsp dry white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- grated peel from orange
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- On cooking day:
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 lemon sliced thinly
- In skillet, heat oil over medium heat then brown chicken pieces in a single layer, about 8-10 minutes per side. Place all chicken into skillet, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove chicken and place into casserole dish (or into 2 or 3 casserole dishes, per size needed for your family). In skillet, add sherry, wine, orange peel, lemon juice and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then pour over chicken in casserole(s).
- Cool and freeze.
On serving day
- On cooking day, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350F. Sprinkle casserole with Swiss cheese, top with lemon slices and heat for 30-40 minutes (adjust time accordingly if you divided it into smaller casseroles). Use broiler at end of cooking time if you prefer cheese browned. Serve.